How to improve Canadian federal elections? (Comparative poll on Election Methods)
This poll operates like a wiki: feel free to update its summary and, if applicable, add a new, better option to the poll itself.
House of Commons of Canada
The House of Commons of Canada is comprised of 338 Members of Parliament (MPs) elected in single-member districts using Plurality Voting. The elections to elect the 338 MPs are called the Canadian federal election. MPs are elected for four years.
Voting in the poll below is made as a direct comparison with the current system. Each option in the poll is a proposed improvement on the current system. It may include a variety of Election methods to use in each of the current 338 single-member districts, as well as other proposed improvements.
How to vote
Polling will be restricted to the members of this site.
The poll will be Emocracy with ratings ranging from -5 to +5, where:
- A positive rating would mean that you believe that the given option would perform better (from +1 = slightly better, to +5 = much, much better) than the current system.
- A zero rating would mean that you believe the given option would not perform better nor worse than the current system.
- A negative rating would mean that you believe that the given option would perform worse (from -1 = slightly worse, to -5 = much, much worse) than the current system.
- A "I don't know" rating counts as -5, but the results must be interpreted accordingly: the voter does not the necessary understanding of the proposed option to express itself one way or another.
Obviously, the notion of "performing better" is subjective, and can be discussed in relation to this poll.
Information on options
- Practical Democracy refers to Fred Gohlke's proposal on a bottom to top selection process.
- IRV+ refers to ran_in_93's proposed variation on IRV.
|Choice||Blog entries||+5||+4||+3||+2||+1||0||-1||-2||-3||-4||-5||I don't know||Votes||Score|
|100 %||Use Practical Democracy in each district.||13 entries||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||5|
|100 %||Use IRV+ in each district.||1 entry||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||5|
|100 %||Use Approval Voting in each district.||2 entries||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||5|
|90 %||Use Condorcet Voting in each district.||2 entries||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||4|
|40 %||Eliminate districts and use nationwide proportional representation.||2 entries||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||1||-1|
|0 %||No Party on the ballot. Add a national vote to elect a party’s legislative mandate (widely endorsed by candidates).||12 entries||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||1||1||-5|
Check the 3 blog entries discussing this poll.