The following are fatal incidents in Western countries that cannot be exploited for imperialistic purposes. The domestic and international response to these incidents can be compared to domestic and international responses to fatal incidents that can be exploited for imperialistic purposes. This is a way to gauge how much of Western response to fatal incidents is authentic and how much is merely crocodile tears.
In May of 2012, Luka Magnotta murdered Chinese international student Jun Lin.1
On May 26 of this year, Jeremy Joseph Christian killed two men and injured a third who were trying to protect two girls from Christian's Islamophobic verbal abuse.2
In February of 2015, Craig Hicks carried out the Chapel Hill shooting where three young Muslims were "shot dead in their home in a quiet neighbourhood of North Carolina in the US."3
In January of this year, 27-year-old Alexander Bissonnette carried out the Quebec City mosque shooting which left six people dead and 19 injured (including 5 with critical gunshot wounds).4
In December of 2014, Phuc Lam murdered 8 people in Edmonton, Alberta.5
In March of 2014, 43 people were killed in a mudslide 4 miles east of Oso, Washington.6
In July of 2013, a train derailment in the centre of the Quebec town Lac-Mégantic killed 47 people.7
In July of 2011, Anders Breivik killed 77 people in a right-wing, anti-Muslim terrorist attack.8
- 1. "Timeline: A look at the Luka Magnotta case and the grisly video." Global News, 25 Jan. 2016, http://globalnews.ca/news/2474812/timeline-a-look-at-the-luka-magnotta-c.... Accessed 9 Jun. 2017.
- 2. Ganim, Sara. "Portland train stabbing suspect has another outburst in court." CNN, 7 Jun. 2017, http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/07/us/portland-train-stabbing-jeremy-christia.... Accessed 9 Jun. 2017.
- 3. Withnall, Adam. "Chapel Hill shooting: Three young Muslims gunned down in North Carolina family home." The Independent, 11 Feb. 2015, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/chapel-hill-shooting-th..., Accessed 9 Jun. 2017.
- 4. "The Quebec City mosque attack: What we know so far." The Globe and Mail, 10 Feb. 2017, https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/quebec-city-mosque-shootin.... Accessed 9 Jun. 2017.
- 5. "Phu Lam, 53, was shooter in Edmonton mass murder." CBC News, 31 Dec. 2014, http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/phu-lam-53-was-shooter-in-edmonto.... Accessed 9 Jun. 2017.
- 6. "Media Update as of July 23, 2014 at 9:00 AM." Snohomish County Medical Examiner’s Office, 23 Jul. 2014, https://snohomishcountywa.gov/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/3913. Accessed 9 Jun. 2017.
- 7. "Lac-Mégantic runaway train and derailment investigation summary." Transportation and Safety Board of Canada, 28 Oct. 2014, http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/rail/2013/r13d0054/r13d0054-r-.... Accessed 9 Jun. 2017.
- 8. "Norway Terror Attacks Fast Facts." CNN, 4 Mar. 2017, http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/26/world/europe/norway-terror-attacks/index.html. Accessed 9 Jun. 2017.