Corruption within Nigerian government
This is a collectively editable wiki page. Be bold and improve it by adding any relevant information you may have.
This wiki page is a place holder. Use it to document corruption within the Nigerian government and also the way the government does not seem to care about its people's welfare.
Government handling of the Boko Haram insurgency
They way the Nigerian federal government handled (or didn't handle) the Boko Haram insurgency in general and the Chiboq schoolgirls kidnapping in particular has been widely criticized in Nigeria and worldwide.
Many news articles maintain that the Nigerian government is infiltrated by Boko Haram.
Some feel the government is insincere in fighting the insurgency and had been misinforming the world about its seriousness and the real casualty figures. 1
It is difficult to get reliable information about the regular Boko Haram crimes (abduction, massacres) even with a few days delays given the reluctance of the Government to relay such information and the fact that the region is not connected with the outside world.
There have been unconfirmed reports that 15 senior Nigerian military officers have been court martialed and found guilty of providing information and ammunition to Boko Haram militants. 2
- Extract from news articles specific examples of government corruption.
- If you are Nigerian and know of specific examples, you can discuss them in your blog (on this site or elsewhere) and list them here.
"How do you deal with a government which is not sincere in fighting Boko Haram?" asks coommark 3 Ideas and proposed action points welcome.
- Reactions by the Nigerian authorities to the Chibok schoolgirls kidnapping.
- Fighting government corruption.
- [02 June 2014] Freeing Nigerian schoolgirls now 'a very messy affair'.